Thursday, January 19, 2012

Book #4: Survivor in Death

There's hardly any point in me "reviewing" one of JD Robb's "In Death" series novels, because they're like the sitting duck of awesomeness for me.

Every. Single. Time.

There's a reason JD Robb (aka: Nora Roberts) has a loyal following of fans - she is simply the Queen of Romance, and she spins beautiful mysteries in the "In Death" series.

Not to mention she's got characterization nailed. Heck, three quarters of the reason I read JD Robb is for my regular dose of Roarke. I've fallen for many of Nora's sexy heros in the past, but none make my heart flip like Eve Dallas' partner, Roarke.

I have no idea where I'm at in the series. I don't know whether I've read the book just before Survivor, and have likely read a few after it. But it doesn't matter. I've tried starting from the beginning again, but there's only so many times I can read Naked in Death.


You should, however. Read Naked, that is, especially if you're new to JD Robb. Though set in the future, the series doesn't have a Sci-Fi feel, and while the heat between Eve and Roarke is scorching hot, I wouldn't categorize this series as romance.

Eve and Roarke each have a checkered past, and I admire the way the author has woven in their backgrounds to create giant character arcs that truly stand the test of time. And there's a brilliant supporting cast that just keeps growing. It's these characters that allow the series to continue breathing - and each book has taught me a lot about writing series fiction.

Ideal considering I'm working on two books for two different series right now. As my friend Kyle would argue, pretty much all of my ideas eventually want to be part of a series. It's kind of a curse.

I won't go too much into the plot of Survivor because frankly, if you've never read a JD Robb book, any key plot points would be spoilers. But what I loved about this novel is the way Eve and Roarke's tragic past is brought to the forefront, and how each of them deals with it in their own way - and then together. Brilliant.

As with all JD Robb books, I'm baffled by how easily I ignore mid-chapter POV shifts and dialogue tags that wouldn't pass Stephen King's "said and only said" test. Must be some of Roarke's charm reaching out from the page.

I wish.

*jumps up and down and waves hand* Here I am, Roarke.

- Dawn


The Book In My Bag Today: One for the Money, Janet Evanovich

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of JD's books! They sound awesome. I'll have to pick out up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this series. I have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete